Sophie's Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2006

99 words

I have been sufficiently bored by revision to write a 99 word story today. Although I'm not sure if it qualifies seeing as there isn't a plot of any sort! Here it is:

The sun flickered through the branches of the tree above her. She surveyed her surroundings and noticed a stream in the horizon. A blink and she had arrived. Passing birds called out greetings; trout, each a different colour of the rainbow, swam round in circles. Chocolate frogs jumped across stepping stones waiting to be kissed. A fluffy cloud of candy floss briefly obscured the sun, sending pink shadows over the mysterious land. She shuddered at the sight of the beautiful yet eerie landscape.
The girl stood up and yawned. She smiled to herself; it was time to go home.


And here is the one I wrote a couple of days ago. This one is even less of a story, but I think I prefer it:

Thoughts, they run through my head like a steam train through a tunnel. Whooshing and wooing all the way. They serve no purpose, they have no destination. I turn to see what is coming, but find I cannot see. The silence is deafening. So I walk in the hope of finding shelter. The train is still on its way, I try but I cannot outwit it. It knows I am there. I shout and scream but no-one hears me. I am alone. I hear someone calling me; I leave my thoughts behind; the smile returns; all is well again.


They are quite similar really aren't they. Funny that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home