Sophie's Blog

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Llama

Hello everyone! To update you all, I finished my essay and handed it in on Tuesday morning...Before the lecturer got in. Yea! I will try not to do that again, it was a bit tight for my liking... Umm ohh well never mind, I have to be 'rebellious' at some point, and if that's as bad as it gets well that will have to do won't it!
Anyway, as you have probably worked out already I am little on the happy side this evening/morning thanks to the alcohol. I only had one too, a pint of cider, but on an empty stomach. I'm never hungry after 2 hours of trampolining and a game of rounders. Does anyone else find that they are not hungry after exercise? And I can't eat before it cos then would be ill! Anyway, that is besides the point. back to what I was saying, ummm, I've kind of forgotten where I was going with all of this.
Ahh yes, at some point I was going to tell you about the llama that I received today. It arrived in the post! I must say that when Sarah B told me she was sending me a present for my birthday (only a month late, that's very good for you Sarah! hehe to be fair my original present got eaten by German students... don't ask) But anyway, this llama is yellow and brown, and it doesn't spit because it is made of plastic, but I have been told that they do, and hane tells me that they make funny noises too. Its so cool and unexpected! I need to give him a name, its a he by the way, I decided just now because he looks like a he. Name wise, any suggestions are welcomed. Also, why do people breed llamas? Are they for riding on, or for their fur, or for eating? Also, Hane wants to know the difference between llamas and alpacas. (Jess I think you would be a good person to answer these questions as you are doing zoology, but anyone else is welcome!) Obviously this particular llama is plastic and so not very good for any of the above!
In other news, yesterday I went to salsa, and absolutely loved it. Why I haven't been more often this year is absolutely beyond me, its a great dance! I was amazed at how much I could remember, and was even able to follow the advanced class without too many problems considering how rusty my following skills were... There is a possibility that I will be doing demos on the night of my summer ball for people as they walk in, that would be fun :-)

I should probably go now, and perhaps get some sleep as not much has been had in the past few days what with one thing and the next. So have a great day, and enjoy yourselves. For those with revision, don't do too much!

2 Comments:

  • Ok... Apparently llamas are bred for their wool, and they are good guards to protect other domesticated animals. Llamas and alpacas are in the same family as camels, although llamas are larger than alpacas and have more elongated snouts. The spit only occasionally as a defence, but are more likely to simply run away. Otherwise, they are gentle animals which are comfortable around humans. They also make funny noises like "mwa".

    By Blogger HHM, at 5/18/2006 1:23 am  

  • www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

    This should help...as a zoologist I found it most enlightening!

    The following is from llama.co.uk the home of the British Llama and Alpaca Association!

    Llamas, alpacas, guanacos and vicunas are collectively known as New World Camelids. Originally they all came from Central America. They are all members of the camelid family and are related to Bactrian and Dromedary camels.
    Llamas are traditionally pack animals. In the U.K. they are usually kept for trekking or as companion animals. Alpacas are primarily kept for their excellent fibre. There are only a few guanacos and vicunas kept in the UK.
    All camelids are naturally herd animals and should preferably not be kept in isolation. They will live happily with other animals. Average stocking rates are 4-5 llamas/acre (0.5ha) or 6-8 alpacas/acre (0.5ha). They require an open fronted shelter.

    Also I can tell you that:

    Llamas are taller than Alpacas
    Llama hair is courser than Alpacas

    Their latin name of the Lama is Lama glama


    Hope that all helps, Jess x

    By Blogger JAJ, at 5/21/2006 9:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home