Sophie's Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Kindness

I have just set my status on facebook to avoiding revision, so I might as well do it well...hence a post. It is going to take me just as long to think up something to say as it will to write it out in intelligible sentences afterwards. But never mind, you need not understand me.

The other day, on my way back from Sainsbury's laden down with bags, I had a sudden, how to put it , realisation perhaps is the best word for it. I realised that most people are good and kind. Now why did I choose that particular time and place for this insight you may ask, well something as simple as a helpful word made me think. I was standing at the bus stop waiting for the bus, reading my book, when I saw the bus in a distance. In a slight panic I fumbled around to get my book back into my bag, as there was no way I would manage my book, my rucksack and the 6 bags of shopping full of the food that had been requested by the house. An elderly lady who was also standing by the bus stop, asked me whether the bus which was coming was the one that I wanted and told me not to worry that she would hail it for me and that she would help me with my bags if I needed help. It was just so kind of her that I didn't quite know what to say.

Its the little things like that in life that make you appreciate people. I don't think she has any idea how touched I felt at her little act of kindness, but I thank her for it all the same, and perhaps all the more, because she had nothing to gain. It all sounds a little silly now, but like I said it is the little kind thoughts in life that make the world of difference to people around us.

I don't think there is much more I can say in this post without lowering its tone, so I shall leave it at that. I hope you don't all think that I am a romantic, idealistic fool now because I don't think that I am.

4 Comments:

  • You're not a romantic idealistic fool. By acknowledging you with her kind act, that lady has reminded you of that supportive bridge between you and the rest of humanity. If more people were able to appreciate this kindness as much as you do, we'd be living in a better place :)

    By Blogger HHM, at 5/25/2006 2:59 pm  

  • Yay for there being someone in this world who appreciates little acts of kindness as more than just a little act of kindness. If the world of full of people like you who actually cared about people then it'd be a far far better place.

    By Blogger FreeWildebeest, at 5/25/2006 10:41 pm  

  • I adore people like that. They restore your faith in human nature :). Like on SX, a friend left her wallet in a pub and someone drove all the way to Walsingham, hunted down the Pilgrims' Bureau and gave it back to her, with everything still inside. You've got to love the world sometimes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 12:44 am  

  • I adore people like that. They restore your faith in human nature :). Like on SX, a friend left her wallet in a pub and someone drove all the way to Walsingham, hunted down the Pilgrims' Bureau and gave it back to her, with everything still inside. You've got to love the world sometimes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 12:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home